Ladies, let’s admit it! All of us have had at least several foundations, which have never been used (except in emergency situations) and have ended up expired and thrown away. Artificial light, overrated brands, marketing tricks or misleading shop consultants’ advice are often responsible for the wrong choice.
Having bought and disposed of dozens of tubes, I have come up with a few tips for choosing the perfect foundation based on my own experience. So, save your money and avoid disappointment, learning form my mistakes.
1. Always, always, always test the foundation sample in the shop and don’t buy it! Go outside to see how it matches you skin tone under natural daylight. Please note that natural light is not the one in the mall. Also, spend a few hours with the foundation to see how its texture feels and looks on your face as it may make it too dry or oily.
So, overcome the unease of not buying the product you have tried and simply thank the shop assistants and leave. They may not say “Goodbye” but that shouldn’t concern you.
2. Before you pick a foundation, get to know your skin’s undertone — is it pink, sandy or yellow? No matter how much you like a particular shade if it doesn’t match your natural undertone the effect will be of a face mask. Save that for Halloween.
3. The price is not determinative of the product’s quality. Of course, paraben-free foundation is always preferable. Chemicals may be consumed through food and medicines, but they are also commonly used in cosmetics, so take proper care of your skin, choosing bio, medical or natural products.
4. If your face cream has no sun protection factor (SPF) compensate this with the foundation. While essential for our existence, the Sun is the skin’s worst enemy. The SPF filters out the UV radiation, keeping your skin moisturised and young, while also preventing it from sunspots.
5. You and your best friend may have common friends, a similar taste for food and activities, you may even share clothes and accessories, but the best foundation for her is not the best for you. Remember that we all have different skin type, based on our genes and diet.. So, trust other people’s experience but always test the products yourself to avoid unnecessary purchases.
I hope you’ve found this article helpful. If so, share it with friends. If there are some tips or advice you would like to add, please comment below. And here you will find video tutorials showing how to apply foundation properly: